Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Breastfeeding on the radio

     On the way to drop O off at school this morning I was listening to the radio like I always do.  Today's topic of conversation was things you don't want to see in public.  Most of the people that called in had funny things or things that were just so true, but then there was the man who called in and said  a woman breastfeeding, unless she is "hot".  First of all I was so surprised that the radio station aired his call, then I was not sure I herd him correctly since I had the radio turned down and the more I thought about it the sadder I became.  Now I did hear it correctly because after the next song there were calls in about what he said and supporting breast feeding moms. 
     As I sit here typing and breastfeeding my baby the thought just saddens me.  I breastfeed my babies, that is my choice and it is what is best for my family; I feel that it does not make me any better or worse than moms who don't breastfeed.  Since I do not sit in my house all day there are times when I have to feed my baby in public and in the state of Maryland I have the law with me; it states that I can feed my child where I want.  Now I am not one to just pull my boob out for the world to see and feed my baby. I am not the sure of myself, I don't want the world seeing my boob.  So I find a spot that is quite and I keep my shirt down as much as I can but still allowing Little B access to my boob in order to eat.  I don't like big nursing covers I feel like they draw more attention to me, if I feel like I need some more coverage I will put a blanket over Little B once he has latched on. 
     Now since I have had the chance to write down my thoughts, I can let them go and move on. I am not going to let one man's opinion change my ways of doing things, that is just not me.  But I think I may feel bad for the guy.  Maybe he does not have a family or has thought about making the right choice for his kids, because I think anyone who has children knows how if feels to make decisions about their family and what is right for them.  I would like to think that if this man had to make decisions that he would understand and would have kept his thoughts to himself or his close friends not to the world.  And now I am going to move on with my day.

I don't have a good picture of my feeding either of my babies, so I decided to post a picture of Little B, with all of his rolls.

3 comments:

  1. What a cute picture! I am your new follower, you can visit me at http://showmemama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some people are so immature and close minded. I had to learn a long time ago to just tune them out. Sorry it bothered you so much though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Just, wow! There are so many things wrong with that man's comment I don't even know where to start. As a mom who did breastfeed, and in public when necessary, I find his attitude unbelievably offensive. Unfortunately, there are probably a lot more out there like him. We just have to do what we feel is best for our children and not worry about what other people think.

    ReplyDelete